[Mailman-Users] Counting messages that went to postfix queue

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri May 4 18:54:29 CEST 2007

D G Teed wrote:

>Another list, with 577 subscribers was sent out today.  I validated
>the email addresses, removed one before subscribing with
>an underscore in the domain name.  This time there are 6 addresses
>which do not appear in /var/log/maillog (did a log rotate
>just prior to the send to keep this easy to check).
>
>For the check, I'm using this perl script findsender.pl:
>
>http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2002-08/att-0287/02-findsender.pl
>
>I dump the subscribers reported by mailman to a temp file:
>
>~mailman/bin/list_members mylistname | sort > /tmp/ott2

Instead of the above, do

~mailman/bin/list_members -r -n enabled mylistname | sort > /tmp/ott2

This will list only non-digest members with delivery enabled.

Or perhaps this is not an issue. Is the number of lines in of /tmp/ott2
equal to the number of recips in Mailman's smtp log entry? If so, then
Mailman is delivering to all of them.

>I check to see if each can be found in any sort of mention in maillog:
>
>for person in `cat /tmp/ott2 `; do  ./findsender.pl $person /var/log/maillog
>| grep 'Found 0' | cut -d' ' -f5 ; done
>
>In case findsender.pl is flawed, I grep each of the ones it reports.

This is really a question for Postfix resources. If Mailman says it
delivers to 577 recips, and you can only find 571 of them in Postfix's
logs, I think this has to be a Postfix issue.

>I guess my next step will be to try 2.1.9.  Are there any suggestions on how
>safely do the upgrade on top of Redhat's 2.1.5 Mailman?

I certainly don't want to discourage you from upgrading, but the only
change in the SMTPDirect.py delivery module since 2.1.5 had to do with
the address logged in the post log as the sender of the post. I doubt
an upgrade would make any difference.

That said, upgrading should be straightforward. Download to a new
directory, unpack and run configure. Here you need a few options, and
you may need some trial and error. You need to specify
--prefix=~mailman (For RedHat 2.1.5, I think that's
--prefix=/var/mailman). You also need the groups under which Postfix
and Apache invoke the wrappers. If you have Mailman generating Postfix
aliases automatically in ~mailman/data/aliases* with MTA='Postfix' in
mm_cfg.py, you would want --with-mail-gid=mailman, but you didn't
indicate that you had MTA='Postfix' in a prior post, so you may need
--with-mail-gid=nobody or possibly --with-mail-gid=postfix depending
on your postfix configuration. You also probably need
--with-cgi-gid=apache.

Then you just run 'make install' or if you want two steps, make
followed by make install and that should do it unless you start
getting group mismatch errors from the mail and/or cgi-bin wrappers in
which case, you rerun configure with the proper --with-*-gid options
(reported in the group mismatch error messages) and 'make install'.