[Mailman-Users] Mailman with remote smtp server

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed May 2 06:44:30 CEST 2007

Meenal Pant wrote:

>I want to set up mailman to use a remote smtp server. How to achieve
>this ? I am having trouble understanding how to set up list aliases in
>/etc/alias  in particular?

To use a remote SMTP server for outgoing mail, simply set SMTPHOST and
maybe SMTPPORT in mm_cfg.py. See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.072.htp>.

To use a remote server for incoming mail to Mailman is much more
complex. A search of the archives of this list for "fetchmail" will
turn up some info
(<http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Amail.python.org++inurl%3Amailman-users++fetchmail>).

Depending on how remote the server is, it may be possible to use NFS to
give the remote server access to the mail wrapper on the Mailman host
which can be another way to do it.