[Mailman-Users] Retrieving list membership via email

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed May 2 06:07:51 CEST 2007

Drew Tenenholz wrote:

>I'd just like a quick confirmation of Mailman (2.1.4, yikes!) behavior:
>
>A message sent to listname-request at example.com with a body of "who"
>should return the list members. (FAQ 3.62)
>
>However, my list has 'private_roster' set to 'List Admin Only', and
>when (from a list owner email address) I send "who admin_password", I
>get:
>
>- Results:
>     You are not allowed to retrieve the list membership.
>

>Is this expected behavior?

Assuming 'admin_password' above is the actual list admin or moderator
password and not the user password of the admin, then no, it is not
the expected behavior. If it is the user password of the admin, then
it is the expected behavior.

The password needs to be the list's admin or moderator password. The
address you send the 'who' from and to which the results will be
returned can be any address.