[Mailman-Users] Troubleshooting posting of a message

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed May 2 05:32:39 CEST 2007

Rolf E. Sonneveld wrote:

>Now, I tested the following:
>
>I became user mailman
>mailman> cd /usr/local/mailman/scripts
>mailman> ./post <listname>
><message input>
><ctrl-D>
>
>and indeed something showed up in the locks logfile, as well as in the
>post logfile and in the bounce logfile (as the sender address was not
>defined, mailman could not authorize the message submissions, which
>ended in a bounce). So it seems that the calling program within the MTA
>gets a positive success status from mailman, but something is wrong
>during message submission. To repeat part of he logfile:
>
>[...]
>11:26:48.19: #1: running wrapper for every recipient
>11:26:48.19: #1:  seeking back to the beginning of the message
>11:26:48.19: #1:  about to fork()
>11:26:48.19: #1:   command completed successfully
>11:26:48.19: #1: cleaning up
>11:26:48.19: #1: mm_opers_free() starting
>11:26:48.19: #1: mm_opers_free() returning
>11:26:48.19: #1:   waiting child 25428
>11:26:48.20: #1: dequeue finished
>11:26:48.21: #1:   command completed successfully
>11:26:48.21: #1: cleaning up
>[...]

I see two possibilities.

1) the wrapper is failing and this fact is not communicated back to the
MTA. Possibly there is a group mismatch or some other problem, but
these result in stderr output from the wrapper and a non-zero exit
status, both of which should be seen by the MTA.

2) the wrapper's precompiled path to the scripts directory is to
something other than /usr/local/mailman/scripts.

It is not clear to me from your initial posts whether this issue
involves just one list or all lists and whether things this list (or
all lists) ever worked.

In any case, you could try your test similarly to the above, but using
the wrapper as in

cd /usr/local/mailman/mail      (or whatever the correct directory is)
./mailman post <listname>
<message input>
<ctrl-D>

The first attempt will probably result in a group mismatch error before
it reads any message input. This will at least tell you what group it
is expecting which may help if there is really a group mismatch with
the MTA.

Then if you can try it again as the expected group, you can see if it
actually posts the message.