[Mailman-Users] genaliases problem

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Mar 30 17:40:04 CEST 2007

Tomas Macek wrote:

>Hi, I'm new to Mailman and I have problem with genaliases. I'm using Mailman 2.1.5 on RHEL 4 with Postfix.
>
>I read the /usr/share/doc/mailman-2.1.5.1/README.POSTFIX and tried to setup postfix like mentioned in 'VIRTUAL DOMAINS' section.
>
>Postfix's /etc/postfix/main.cf:
>--------------------------------
>virtual_alias_maps =    pgsql:/etc/postfix/pgsql/alias_domains_maps.cf \
>                         pgsql:/etc/postfix/pgsql/alias_mailbox_maps.cf \
> 		        hash:/usr/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman
>
>recipient_delimiter = -
>

>Mailman's /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py:
>VERP_FORMAT = '%(bounces)s+%(mailbox)s=%(host)s'
>VERP_PROBE_REGEXP = r'^(?P<bounces>[^+]+?)\-(?P<token>[^@]+)@.*$'
>VERP_CONFIRM_FORMAT = '%(addr)s+%(cookie)s'
>VERP_CONFIRM_REGEXP = r'^(?P<addr>[^+]+?)\-(?P<cookie>[^@]+)@.*$'
>
>MTA = 'Postfix'
>POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['our_domain.com']
>
>I also tried to create a new list by command 'bin/newlist list at our_domain.com' and wrote what I've been asked.

Were there any error responses from this? If not, and if you had MTA =
'Postfix' in mm_cfg.py at the time, this process should have created
(or updated) the data/aliases* and data/virtual-mailman* files.

>Then I created 'data' directory, with chmod and chown, make bin/genaliases and /etc/init.d/mailman restart. After typing genaliases command I expected mailman to create data/virtual-mailman and data/virtual-mailman.db files, but absolutely nothing happened.

You shouldn't have to create Mailman's data/ directory. It should
already exist in Mailman's VAR_PREFIX directory which should be
defined in Defaults.py.

However if your RedHat package uses RedHat's FHS patch, you will find
the aliases and virtual_mailman files in /etc/mailman/ (see
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2004-October/017343.html>).