[Mailman-Users] spam, AOL and server names

vancleef at lostwells.net vancleef at lostwells.net
Fri Mar 23 00:57:30 CET 2007

The esteemed Patrick Bogen has said:

> To reiterate what Brad said, please see FAQ 3.42. It specifically
> talks about this issue.
>
> On 3/22/07, Dennis Morgan <dennis at e-aa.org> wrote:
> > The percentage of our mail that AOL rejects is just huge - around 90% -
> > I was hoping that maybe someone could see something that we were doing
> > wrong. It'd be nice to get the rejection rate down.
> >
> > Dennis
> >
> > Brad Knowles wrote:
> > > See also FAQ 3.42.

FAQ 3.42 pretty well covers the issues we see on our installation.
One change that I don't see in the FAQ is to put
SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 5
in mm_cfg.py.  This may seem absurdly low, compared with the
Defaults.py value.  I originally set it to 10 and had mails to verizon
being deferred until they were time-flushed from the Sendmail queue
(five days).  Switching to individualized posts for non-digest members
made a very obvious difference in deferrals, but the pain persisted
for digests.

We've simply given up on AOL.  We were getting 5.7.1 security bounces
with a link to a message that made clear that they were blacklisting
us.  The pattern we saw doesn't correlate with their claims of "users
reporting us as spam."  We were down to one AOL user, a paraplegic,
and ended up having a list member drive to get him set up on another
service.

Hank