[Mailman-Users] UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte

Steve Burling srb at umich.edu
Wed Mar 21 14:37:55 CET 2007

Almost a year ago, in
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2005-April/043992.html>,
Mark Sapiro wrote (in response to a question about this error):

> This error caused the message to be shunted (placed in the shunt
> queue). You can run bin/unshunt to reprocess the message, but unless
> you change the character set of the list language first, the error
> will occur again and the message will be shunted again.
>
> To change the character set to e.g. western european, you can put
>
> add_language('en',    'English (USA)',       'iso-8859-1')
>
> in mm_cfg.py and then do
>
> bin/mailmanctl restart
>
> followed by
>
> bin/unshunt

Is there any downside to making this change?  I notice that iso-8859-1 is
the standard charset for the majority of the languages listed in Defaults.py

(As you can probably guess, I'm seeing the above error...)

--
Steve Burling                                    <mailto:srb at umich.edu>
University of Michigan, ICPSR                    Voice: +1 734 615.3779