[Mailman-Users] Different Mailman "Home" Pages?

Barry Finkel b19141 at britaine.ctd.anl.gov
Tue Mar 20 21:14:34 CET 2007

I wrote last week:

>>I have some Mailman lists that I want advertised to local users, and
>>some Mailman lists that I want advertised to anyone on the Internet.
>>Is there a way of doing this?  Essentially it would require a two
>>front-end pages with some web (apache) logic as to which IP addresses
>>see which page.

And Mark Sapiro replied:

>You do this with two virtual domains in Apache and two virtual hosts in
>Mailman. You may or may not need virtual hosting in your MTA depending
>on whether or not you want separate email domains.
>
>See
><http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2007-March/056108.html>
>for a bit more detail on the Mailman side of it.

I was able to configure Mailman and Postfix for the second domain.
I am running with a Mailman 2.1.9 package I built for Ubuntu Dapper.
The two domains are

     lists-dev.example.com
     lists-dev1.example.com

and I have configured Postfix to accept both.

I created one test list via

     newlist --urlhost=lists-dev1.example.com \
             --emailhost=lists-dev1.example.com \
             test-extaccess

and the list was visable on the

     lists-dev1.example.com

web page.  All of the Mailman aliases for both sites are in one alias
file

     /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases

In the configuration files, I have separate email hosts

     lists-dev.example.com
     lists-dev1.example.com

I am not sure that I need both.    Mail to either nodename is delivered
to the list, even if the list is defined on the other nodename.

When I go to URL

     lists-dev1.example.com

I see the two lists I have created there, and I do not see the lists on
the other web page.  But I am able to get to the lists on the other web
page by knowing the name and entering that name in the URL.

What do I need to do to get separation of the two web sites - so that
one list is not accessible via the other web site?  Thanks.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov