[Mailman-Users] Disappearing List -

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Mar 16 20:14:52 CET 2007

Shadow wrote:

>have anyone encountered this problem?  One of my mail lists have
>disappeared. I think that the list is still there and there is a
>configuration problem or the configuration file (if there is one) is
>corrupted.  I am still receiving the administrative approval requests
>for the lists but when I attempt to enter via the admin interface, I
>encounter:
>
>Bug in Mailman version 2.1.9.cp2

See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.011.htp>.

>We're sorry, we hit a bug!
>

>Please inform the webmaster for this site of this problem. Printing of
>traceback and other system information has been explicitly inhibited,
>but the webmaster can find this information in the Mailman error logs.
>
>My ISP tech support seens to think as I do and suggests that I delete
>the list and re-create it........but I don't want to do that if it means
>destroying what is there now..........and if there is no way around that
>then I will re- create the list, but I need to check all options first.
>I have not modified anything in the configuration - it just seemed to
>happen suddenly - can anyone help or offer suggestions?  I am out of
>ideas

What is in Mailman's error log. Please post the entire traceback from
the above error.

It has been reported on this list that the location of a cPanel Mailman
installation is /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/. Within tat
directory should be a logs/ dirrectory containing the 'error' log
among others.

Also, there is a lists/<listname>/ directory that contains the list
data. The current configuration is config.pck and the immediately
previous is config.pck.last. It may be sufficient to just copy
config.pck.last to config.pck but before you start doing anything with
those, let's see the traceback from the error.

Also note that in cPanel, the <listname> above is a 'qualified' list
name as in list_example.com.