[Mailman-Users] Illegal characters in subscribed name - follow up and resolution

Mike Maughan mike.maughan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 14:08:48 CET 2007

Hi all,

I reported a problem a few days ago where - due to some finger trouble and
being too tired to check properly -  I had managed to mass-subscribe an id
of the form "username"useremail at domain.ext> (note the missing '<' at the
start of the email address.  Mailman accepted the subscription and proceeded
to deliver mail BUT would not let me see or manage the sub in the
subscription page.

A further problem was the subscriber was receiving multiple copies of list
posts.

Investigations with the hosting company (dreamhost), mail tests, feedback
from this list and especially some direct & detailed help from Mark
(Shapiro) helped to resolve the problems to be:

1) the mass subscription page will allow one to subscribe illegal or unusual
user names to the list ("username"useremail at domain.ext>) which do not appear
in the normal subscription table.
- mass unsub will remove such subscriptions
- Mark & others have discussed whether this is a 'bug' or a 'feature' and
will no doubt respond accordingly :)

2) the user's mail rules were found to be creating extra duplicates and have
now been fixed.

Many thanks again for the help & support; it's good to know there are people
'out there' who care ...

--
Regards, Mike