[Mailman-Users] Trapping messages with null subjects sent to list

vancleef at lostwells.net vancleef at lostwells.net
Wed Mar 14 03:28:29 CET 2007

The esteemed Mark Sapiro has said:

> vancleef at lostwells.net wrote:
>
> >Is there a recipe to put in the spam filters that will trap a totally
> >empty subject line in a message?   This get posted to a list with
> >(no subject) in the subject line, but this is evidently added after
> >the spam filter check.
>

> Try the following regexp in header_filter_rules with a Hold action
>
> ^subject:\s*(\(no subject\))?\s*$

I put that line in the spam filter (actually, copied and pasted it).

I'm still seeing the first post with a null subject line blasting
through without getting trapped.  It shows up as (no subject) when
distributed by the list, but isn't trapped until it's gone out to the
list (too late).

All the responses, of course, get trapped by the preexisting trap.

I did try
subject:\n

But that traps a bunch of mangled subject lines where the user's MUA
has munged the original to add spaces.

Hank