[Mailman-Users] hello genaliases

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Mar 14 00:13:06 CET 2007

Gustavo U. Navarro wrote:

>Mark Sapiro escribió:
>> Gustavo U. Navarro wrote:
>>

>>> I need generate a file aliases in mailman.. for postfix..
>>>

>> Do you have
>>
>> MTA = 'Postfix'
>>
>> in mm_cfg.py?
>>

>not because I use local domain and not virtual domain
>these is part of my file mm_cfg.py

You still need MTA = 'Postfix' in mm_cfg.py if you want Mailman to
generate and maintain the data/aliases* files for Postfix.

>#-------------------------------------------------------------
># Uncomment this if you configured your MTA such that it
># automatically recognizes newly created lists.
># (see /usr/share/doc/mailman/README.{EXIM,...})
># MTA=None # Misnomer, suppresses alias output on newlist
>
>#-------------------------------------------------------------
># Uncomment if you use Postfix virtual domains, but be sure to
># read /usr/share/doc/mailman/README.POSTFIX first.
># MTA='Postfix'
>
># Note - if you're looking for something that is imported from mm_cfg,
>but you
># didn't find it above, it's probably in
>/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Defaults.py.

I don't know what brain dead packager put those comments in mm_cfg.py,
but that comment is just wrong. If you want Mailman to generate
aliases for Postfix, you need MTA = 'Postfix' whether or not you are
using virtual domains. See
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node12.html>. You need to do the
things discussed in sec 6.1.1 in any case. If you are using Postfix
virtual domains, you also need the things discussed in section 6.1.2.

You may also find the comments in Defaults.py regarding MTA and
POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS to be of interest.

>>> but when I put  /bin/genaliases..
>>>
>>> I can't  generarte..
>>>

>> What happens when you give the bin/genaliases command? What is the
>> response?
>>

>## lista de distribuci?n mailman
>mailman: "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman"
>mailman-admin: "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin mailman"
>mailman-bounces: "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces mailman"
>mailman-confirm: "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman confirm mailman"
>mailman-join: "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman join mailman"
>mailman-leave: "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman leave mailman"
>mailman-owner: "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner mailman"
>mailman-request: "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request mailman"
>mailman-subscribe: "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe mailman"
>mailman-unsubscribe: "|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe mailman"

Because you have not overridden the default MTA = 'Manual', genaliases
just prints the aliases for you to deal with manually.