[Mailman-Users] Virtual hosts [was: newlist mailman - python error]

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Mar 13 21:38:18 CET 2007

Ulrich Pöschl wrote:

>thanks a lot! your hint pointed me in the right direction. problem solved.
>
>other question:
>
>is it possible to use one mailman instance on a single server for two
>different subdomains like
>
>xx at lists.host1.com
>yy at lists.anotherhost.com
>
>it wouldn't be too bad if the two hosts see eachosters lists, but
>mailman should be able to send/receive on both subdomains..
>
>any good starting-point in the docs? or any good howtos on that?

Standard Mailman supports multiple virtual hosts from a single instance
with the restriction that all list names must be unique across all
hosts. This restriction is planned to be removed for Mailman 2.2 and
there are various patches available for Mailman 2.1 which may or may
not work. See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.047.htp>.

If you can live with the unique list name restriction, the Mailman part
of virtual hosting is simple. In mm_cfg.py, just put add_virtualhost()
directives for the additional host(s), e.g.

add_virtualhost('www2.example.com', 'lists2.example.com')

Then web created lists will be created with the proper web and mail
host names based on the host name of the URL that accessed the create
page. bin/newlist has options for specifying domains other than
DEFAULT_URL_HOST and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST.

Lists will only be shown on the overview page for the accessing host
unless you set VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = Off.

Of course, you have to set up the virtual domains in the web server and
in the incoming MTA so that the web server invokes the mailman CGIs
for Mailman URLs for all the hosts and the MTA properly delivers list
mail for any host to Mailman. These latter things are specific to your
web server, MTA and virtual hosting setup.