[Mailman-Users] sendmail and solaris stuff

vancleef at lostwells.net vancleef at lostwells.net
Mon Mar 12 01:19:35 CET 2007

The esteemed Barry Warsaw has said:

> On Feb 27, 2007, at 10:44 PM, vancleef at lostwells.net wrote:
>
> > Since you guys aren't working with either Sendmail or Solaris, I think
> > it would be best for me to walk through and record the entire process,
> > and give that to you as a basis for inclusion where and however you
> > want to use it.
>
> Sounds great Hank, thanks.
> - -Barry

I'm about to post a Sendmail/Mailman step-by-step.

I've reduced the process to four steps, but have not repeated the
smrsh link step that is already in the installation manual.

This is for a simple installation, and I have not addressed things
like multiple mail queues or use of a remote mail host.   The method
in my madness is to try to address the needs of the new-to-sendmail
administrator in a "get a simple installation working first" mode.

After thinking about it, I decided not to attempt to discuss such
things as configuring sendmail to operate with a remote mail host,
multiple mail queues, or name service.  I think that all of those are
both very site dependent, and adequately covered in the referenced
Sendmail documentation.  It's a dirt simple approach to doing a new
O/S install with Sendmail, Python and Mailman install, and configuring
things to work.

I did include the main.mc masquerading lines needed to do a 2-domain
virtual domain setup, which may seem redundant, as these are Sendmail
issues.  However, the sendmail.org FAQ for doing virtual domains is
broken (or was---last week was last time I checked) and the "bat book"
is deceptively incomplete in its discussion.

In addition to addressing Mailman/Sendmail specifics only, I generally
take the Ockham's Razor approach to getting something new working
("the simplest is the best"), along with the corollary to that.  "If
it ain't broke, don't fix it."  The result may seem absurdly short and
intellectually dissatisfying to some, but I don't see any point in
making a big project out of what's really a simple job.

Hank