[Mailman-Users] Slow delivery

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Fri Mar 9 07:00:06 CET 2007

At 9:44 PM -0800 3/8/07, Herman Privyhum wrote:

>  Thanks to all for the thorough replies.  It appears
>  that the solution actually lies in disabling ident.

Ahh, yes.  You should definitely disable IDENT.  I didn't know that
any modern MTAs actually used it.

>  I may go back and turn it on again with a smaller
>  timeout (suggestions as to how long is reasonable?).

Just leave it turned off.  Using it means that you trust the other
end to not lie to you, and on the modern Internet you can't trust the
other end to do much of anything.  You have to assume that all remote
machines will always lie to you, and therefore you can't trust
anything they send you.

At the very least, if you're going to use it, make sure you only use
it on your local network of machines that you control.  On those
machines, you could use a lower timeout, such as ten or fifteen
seconds.