[Mailman-Users] Slow delivery

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Fri Mar 9 00:52:26 CET 2007

At 3:14 PM -0800 3/8/07, Herman Privyhum wrote:

>  Where else should I look for things that could be
>  causing this?  Exim only has problems with mail routed
>  through Mailman.

Look at your MTA logs.  They should show you when a given message
comes in for a given user, and when that is successfully transmitted.
I'd be willing to bet you're waiting on DNS timeouts at the remote
end for one or more of your users -- their MTA is slowing you down,
maybe as a result of trying to do a reverse DNS lookup on your IP
address.

If you haven't already enabled it, try turning on full
personalization, so that you send a unique copy of the message to
each recipient.  For each recipient, look at the date/time stamp of
when the message goes into Exim and when Exim says that the remote
end has accepted the message.  That should tell you where things are
slowing down.

Maybe it's not a DNS timeout, maybe it's a timeout of some other
sort.  Maybe it's a result of doing anti-spam/anti-virus processing
on inbound as well as outbound e-mail.  Maybe their mail servers are
just very slow.  But at least you should know where the slowdown is
coming from.

You may also be able to turn on some increased parallelism in the
delivery process, so that other recipients can be handled while
you're waiting on the slower sites to respond.

But I wouldn't feel bad at getting everything out in 30 seconds.