[Mailman-Users] need help with virtual domain

Voravit T. voravit at imit.kth.se
Tue Mar 6 11:26:19 CET 2007

Dear all,

I have been trying to set up new a mailman (2.1.5) and would like to
have true virtual host support
since we are hosting roughly 10 virtual domains and most of them have
the same list names.
The old existing mailing list is also mailman (2.0.11), which runs with
true virtual host support (probably it was patched).

I have found that there are 2 alternatives, which I have tried both of them.
1. running different instances of mailman
2. using a patch

I am relatively new with linux administration.
I think that the first solution is somewhat complicated and difficult to
maintain.
So, I preferred the second solution. However, the patches that I found
was not working properly.

Here are the 2 patches that I have tried. (both gave me the same problems)
1. from sourceforge page
(http://al.blog.free.fr/mailman/mailman-vh-2.1.5.patch)
2. from wiki.koumbit.net
(http://lethe.koumbit.net/svn/koumbit/trunk/patches/mailman-true-virtual-2.1.5.patch)

I am running Debian sarge having all packages from stable repository
(mailman 2.1.5-8sar with postfix 2.1.5-9)

There are 2 problems I got after patching.

1. The mailing list in virtual-domain file was not generated correctly.
Here is a part of virtual-mailman file after generated a new list called
tt at stockholmopen.net
#virtual-mailman
#I created a list called tt at stockholmopen.net
tt-stockholmopen.net at stockholmopen.net              tt-stockholmopen.net
tt-stockholmopen.net-admin at stockholmopen.net
tt-stockholmopen.net-admin
tt-stockholmopen.net-bounces at stockholmopen.net
tt-stockholmopen.net-bounces

while the expecting result should be something like the following:
tt at stockholmopen.net              tt-stockholmopen.net
tt-admin at stockholmopen.net        tt-stockholmopen.net-admin
tt-bounces at stockholmopen.net      tt-stockholmopen.net-bounces

I am running Debian sarge stable
Here is part of my mm_cfg.py
#mm_cfg.py
DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'ssvl.kth.se'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST   = 'smtp.ssvl.kth.se'
VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
add_virtualhost('mail.stockholmopen.net', 'stockholmopen.net')
MTA = 'Postfix'
POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['stockholmopen.net']

2. After create a new list, the list does not show up on the web
interface (both listinfo and admin) eventhough it has advertised=1.
I could access the page by typing the URL manaully for example
http://mail.stockholmopen.net/mailman/admin/tt-stockholmopen.net
However, all the links on the page will point to
http://stockholmopen.net/mailman/x rather than
http://mail.stockholmopen.net/mailman/x

As mentioned earlier, I am rather new linux user and never run a patch
before
I did the following:

#cd /var/lib
#patch -p0 < mailman-vh-2.1.5.patch

Is this the right way to patch or do I need to change something in the
patch file before I patch it?
and if this is correctly done, could you give me some suggestion of how
can I get all links on the administrative interface to point to correct
name?

Best regards,
Voravit T.