[Mailman-Users] Urgent newbie help - "Hit a bug" page

John Fleming john at wa9als.com
Sat Mar 3 11:04:59 CET 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Sapiro" <msapiro at value.net>
To: "John Fleming" <john at wa9als.com>; <mailman-users at python.org>
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2007 11:11 PM
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] Urgent newbie help - "Hit a bug" page

> John Fleming wrote:
>>
>>1.  I must be doing something wrong - Running that script only gives me:
>>
>>Luke:/var/lib/mailman# ./johntest <----- the script
>>sh-2.05b#
>

> Yes. something is wrong because apparently, bin/sh is trying to read
> its input from the terminal instead of the script. What is the exact
> contents of johntest? What if you run
>
>  bin/sh ./johntest
>
> instead?

Same thing as before.  Here's the script:

Luke:/var/lib/mailman# cat johntest
! /bin/sh
for list in `/var/lib/mailman/bin/list_lists --bare`
do echo ----------------------------------
echo list: $list
/var/lib/mailman/bin/dumpdb /var/lib/mailman/lists/$list/config.pck | grep
advertised
echo -----------------------------------
doneLuke:/var/lib/mailman#

I don't know what I'm missing about running this script.  Looking through
the .pck files manually, they all seem to have the attributes real_name,
language, and advertised - things that appeared in the error log.  Some are
advertised and some are not, but they all have that entry.

> I have no idea how it got broken. Did you have a system crash? power
> failure? some similar event?

No, really.  Server on UPS.  There could have been a brief burp, but
UPS -should've- protected me from that.

I received an email from a list member that a list wasn't working.  I
restarted qrunner to no avail, rebooted the server to no avail, and then
restarted qrunner again and then the lists all started working again.  The
"We hit a bug" webpage problem persisted throughout.

Thanks for your patience - really.  If I resort to my month-old backup,
should I just replace the /lists directory?  - John