[Mailman-Users] Mime conversions - missing carriage returns and oddcharacters

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Mar 2 17:53:23 CET 2007

Ryan Steele wrote:

>Recently, messages from AOL ( shudder, X-Mailer: AOL WebMail 23823 in
>one example I'm viewing ) and Outlook ( shudder, Build 11.0.5510 in one
>example I'm viewing ) have been sending multipart messages which appear
>to confuse the Mailman MimeDel ( X-Content-Filtered-By: Mailman/MimeDel
>2.1.8 is header, FWIW ).
>
>Here's an example snippet:
>
>Appreciative Inquiry? Or, the power of Ambivalent Thinking. Revisit, for
>a moment, thoughts about Norman Vincent Peale’s “The Power of
>Positive Thinking”, about Dale Carnegie’s “How to Win Friends and
>Influence People”, and, then the brillance of the “Appreciative
>Inquiry” movement arising from the depths of OB study at Case Western
>Reserve

 BUT, also, think about how ow a CWRU faculty Psychologist (of
>the original OB group, and first to exit) could “dim the lights”
>within dedicated students by simply saying: “How come you appear to be
>smiling, all the time?” Also, reflect on how some of the bravest and
>toughest individuals- who have lived through rough situations and
>survived without obsolescence of spirit- are the warmest of friends
>(full of life and strength).

Most of the funny things in the above are utf-8 encoded right single
quote (used as apostrophe) and left and right double quotes. The
exception is the two characters following "Case Western Reserve" which
are windows-1252 horizontal elipsis (...)

It is possible that something in Mailman's MimeDel (content filtering)
is misrepresenting the character set and causing utf-8 encoded text to
be declared as some other character set, but it could also be
something else. Do you have convert_html_to_plaintext set to Yes?

To diagnose this further, we need to see an original message as sent to
the list (e.g. a Bcc: of a list post) and the message as received from
the list. These need to be raw messages with all MIME headers intact.