[Mailman-Users] Making list owner (listname-owner) appear inReturnPath

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Jun 29 21:56:58 CEST 2007

Mark Sapiro wrote:

>If I understand what you want, you can accomplish it by finding the code
>
>    # Calculate the non-VERP envelope sender.
>    envsender = msgdata.get('envsender')
>    if envsender is None:
>        if mlist:
>            envsender = mlist.GetBouncesEmail()
>        else:
>            envsender = Utils.get_site_email(extra='bounces')
>
>at the beginning of process() in SMTPDirect.py and changing it to
>
>    # Calculate the non-VERP envelope sender.
>    if mlist:
>        envsender = mlist.GetOwnerEmail()
>    else:
>        envsender = Utils.get_site_email(extra='owner')

Actually, the above change is a bad idea. It should really be

    # Calculate the non-VERP envelope sender.
    envsender = msgdata.get('envsender')
    if envsender is None:
        if mlist:
            envsender = mlist.GetOwnerEmail()
        else:
            envsender = Utils.get_site_email(extra='owner')

You shouldn't ignore the envsender in the message metadata. It exists
to prevent bounce loops. I was thinking they wouldn't occur if the
bounces were sent to the list owner directly, but of course, a list
owner's address can be undeliverable for many reasons and loops can
still occur.