[Mailman-Users] Need help very badly

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Jun 28 06:50:03 CEST 2007

Kaiser Ahmed wrote:

>I am a new user of mailman. I setup my server and tried to create a mailing list. The following massage occurred. I don't know how to solve it. Please suggest me the steps to be taken to solve this issue.
>Bug in Mailman version 2.1.5
>
>We're sorry, we hit a bug!
>If you would like to help us identify the problem, please email a copy of this page to the webmaster for this site with a description of what happened. Thanks!
>
>Traceback:
>
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/scripts/driver", line 87, in run_main
>    main()
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/create.py", line 55, in main
>    process_request(doc, cgidata)
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/create.py", line 187, in process_request
>    mlist.Create(listname, owner, pw, langs, emailhost)
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 457, in Create
>    self.InitVars(name, admin, crypted_password)
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 372, in InitVars
>    baseclass.InitVars(self)
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/Archiver.py", line 95, in InitVars
>    os.mkdir(self.archive_dir()+'.mbox', 02775)
>OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/english_news.mbox'

The mailman group is unable to create the
/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/english_news.mbox' directory. The
most likely cause of this is insufficient permission on the
/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/' directory (There is a bug in
check_perms so it doesn't catch this).

The minimum permissions on the /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/'
directory are 02770 and group mailman, although on most systems, the
permissions need to be 02771 for public archives to work.