[Mailman-Users] Member only list?

L. H. l.h. at raqtweak.com
Wed Jun 27 03:16:14 CEST 2007

Hi Mark / mailman user list,

Hope you still remember me. Sorry, been VERY busy...
Below is a brief summary of our previous exchange of mails. Beneath it are
my finding whilst debugging some more...

> >> What is the reason why the post is held? You will find the reason in
> >> the admindb interface, in the notice to the admin and in Mailman's
> >> vette log.
> >
> >It says, "dear moderator, the following message awaits your approval", or
> >something like that... You know, the standard "moderator approval
> request".
>
> And it also gives the subject of the post and the reason it was held
> such as "post by non member", "implicit destination", "too big". or
> some such.
>
> If you don't currently have the notice, you can find the held message
> entries with reasons in Mailman's vette log. What are the reasons the
> posts are held?

1) OPEN List
Config settings:
# Set misc settings
generic_nonmember_action = 0
default_member_moderation = no
subscribe_policy = 2
max_message_size = 50
reply_goes_to_list = 1

2) MEMBER posting only
# Set misc settings
default_member_moderation = no
generic_nonmember_action = 2
subscribe_policy = 2
max_message_size = 50
reply_goes_to_list = 1

3) CLOSED (all posts req mod approval)
# Set misc settings
default_member_moderation = yes
member_moderation_action = 1
member_moderation_notice = 'Sorry, subscribers cannot post to this list.'
generic_nonmember_action = 1
subscribe_policy = 2
max_message_size = 50
reply_goes_to_list = 1

Now, in ALL cases, I end up with an email like this:
============
Subject: Your message to 53-debuglist awaits moderator approval

Your mail to '53-debuglist' with the subject

    hiya

The reason it is being held:

    Message has implicit destination

notification of the moderator's decision.  If you would like to cancel

http://www.test.com/mailman/confirm/53-debuglist/6a91ccdb4acaf7e5bd237e3059b
90d1439c8423d
============

(of course I did make member, etc. NO mail is sent to list admin! Only THIS
mail is sent to the sender...)

Furthermore, as you can see from the configs above, I am also trying to
create 3 options for subscribing: Open (no approval of verification req,
verification req, approval by mod required)

However, in ALL cases, I get an email to confirm my address. NO mod
approvals, no nothing. Also, in "open" mode (no verification), I DO get a
verification request.

I am working on the www.rackstar.net project. This used to have majordomo,
which sucks. I am replacing it with mailman, which is a LOT better.
However, I can NOT use the interface mailman offers for the above, because
the rackstar interface has to do this. How I do it now is create a text
file, and use config_list to generate the configuration.
This must be possible... Right?

Hope you have a solution for me.

Thanks!
L.