[Mailman-Users] archRunner hogging CPU

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Jun 25 23:20:36 CEST 2007

Anne Ramey wrote:

>Continued digging lead me to FAQ 4.41....how recent is this.

Not very. The FAQ article is about 3 years old, and the list archive
thread it refers to regards a Mailman 2.0.11 installation

>Does
>anyone else still run into this on the newer versions?  I'll talk to
>some of my list owners and I can change the default, but I was wondering
>if I was chasing a false lead?  (Another note, most of the lists are
>fewer than 100 members)

You could try killing ArchRunner. If you 'kill -TERM' it, mailmanctl
won't restart it.

Then if things don't clear out, check for stale locks from the
ArchRunner process. See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.076.htp>.

That chould get things goung normally, but the messages to be archived
will start piling up in the qfiles/archive queue.

Then you need to figure out what's wrong. Can you pinpoint a specific
list? If so, you could just try rebuilding its archive with

bin/arch --wipe <listname>

and then restart ArchRunner with

/usr/local/mailman/bin/qrunner --runner=ArchRunner:0:1 -s

or by stopping and starting mailmanctl (IIRC restart won't restart
ArchRunner if it was SIGTERMed).

Note that rebuilding the archive with bin/arch is not a step to be
taken lightly as it MAY renumber messages and invalidate saved URLs,
but if the issue is a corrupt archives/private/<listname>/database/*
file, there may be no choice.

You may also wish to check the
archives/private/<listname>.mbox/<listname>.mbox file with
bin/cleanarch before running bin/arch.