[Mailman-Users] Default Languages

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Jun 8 17:16:54 CEST 2007

Bryan Carbonnell wrote:

>Is it possible to have the admin interface for a list in 1 language,
>English, and have the user interface a different language, French,
>using 2.1.6 or 2.1.9?
>
>The only thing I can come up with is to actually change the language
>of the list to French, and edit the translation file and remove the
>translations for the Admin interface so that it gets displayed in the
>default text, which is English.
>
>Is there an easier way to do this?

I'm not sure if this is what you wan't, but you can set the list's
default language to English, and make sure that French is an available
language. Then users can set their preferred language to French.

The tricky part is setting the default language for a new member to
French. This would require implementing a new list attribute, e.g.,
default_member_language, or a really ugly hack to Mailman/MailList.py
in the ApprovedAddMember() method.