[Mailman-Users] Mailing list issue

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Jun 8 03:50:26 CEST 2007

Jeff Williams wrote:

>Well... I am a recipient to both of these lists, and this is why I can see
>the change. Why would my pop client change or rewrite *any* address let
>alone one of these but not the other?

Ask Bill Gates :-)

>> It appears that both lists are anonymous. "Shop Talk" in the From: of
>> the shoptalk at identitypullman.com list comes from the description
>> setting on the list's General Options page. If this is set on the
>> other list, and it is the same Mailman, I don't know why the From:
>> would be different.
>
>As far as I can tell, all of the settings are identical.

I don't understand why there is no 'real name' (from the list's
description) in the From: address of the list at rockhoundsoftball.com
posts.

I also don't understand why one list would get the "(sent by
list-bounces at rockhoundsoftball.com)" added and the other not, but
mailman is not adding this to either list's posts. Both list's posts
are sent by the corresponding -bounces address and contain Sender: and

Sometimes outgoing MTAs rewrite From: headers if the domain in From: is
a CNAME, but I looked at your DNS entries and that is not the case here

I don't understand just where this From: is getting munged and what is
causing it and why it happens only to one list, but I'm sure it is not
Mailman that's doing it.

Are these two domains treated differently by the outgoing MTA?