[Mailman-Users] archive processing problem (mmarch w/ MIME)

John Reddy jreddy at bnl.gov
Wed Jun 6 23:34:45 CEST 2007

I've checked the FAQ and Googled this before coming here to ask for
advice.  Background:  Running Debian 4.0, x86_64, MTA is Postfix,
packaged Debian Mailman (version listed "2.1.9-7"), Python version 2.4.4.

I'm having a problem where the archives are not ingesting MIME email for
various mailing lists that I maintain.  A message goes to the mailing
list, is processed properly and gets reflected to the recipients.  All
email to the list winds up in
/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox.  However,
messages that have MIME encoding don't make it to
/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/listname for inclusion in the web page.

I tried running mmarch to rebuild the archive, and got the following output:
> [root at mailserver] # mmarch --wipe testmaillist-l testmaillist-l.mbox.o
> #00000 <200601010510.k015A1J17411 at sample.email.bnl.gov>
> figuring article archives
> 2006-January
> #00001 <200601020510.k025A0829608 at sample.email.bnl.gov>
> figuring article archives
> 2006-January
> #00002 <200601030510.k035A1w11781 at sample.email.bnl.gov>
> figuring article archives
> 2006-January
> Updating index files for archive [2006-January]
>   Date
>   Subject
>   Author
>   Thread
> Computing threaded index
> Updating HTML for article 0
> Updating HTML for article 1
> Updating HTML for article 2
> Pickling archive state into
> /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/testmaillist-l/pipermail.pck
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/sbin/mmarch", line 200, in ?
>     main()
>   File "/usr/sbin/mmarch", line 188, in main
>     archiver.processUnixMailbox(fp, start, end)
>   File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/pipermail.py", line 564, in
> processUnixMailbox
>     m = mbox.next()
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/mailbox.py", line 35, in next
>     return self.factory(_Subfile(self.fp, start, stop))
>   File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/Mailbox.py", line 89, in scrubber
>     return mailbox.scrub(msg)
>   File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/Mailbox.py", line 109, in scrub
>     return self._scrubber(self._mlist, msg)
>   File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/Scrubber.py", line 393, in
> process
>     replace_payload_by_text(msg, sep.join(text), charset)
>   File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/Scrubber.py", line 175, in
> replace_payload_by_text
>     msg.set_payload(text, charset)
>   File "email/Message.py", line 218, in set_payload
>   File "email/Message.py", line 242, in set_charset
> TypeError: us-ascii

"mmarch" seems to be having trouble with the Content-Type header line.
If I pull out that line for a given message, it is ingested, though it
displays the full MIME text.

Any direction on where to look would be appreciated.

-John

--
John Reddy
jreddy at bnl.gov