[Mailman-Users] question about moving list and archives

Christopher Adams adamsca at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 23:41:53 CEST 2007

Mark,

Yes, you're right about the list.mbox file. This was given to me by
someone else and I was surprised that the mbox file wasn't included.
Does this mean that a new mbox file will be created with the next
post? How do messages append to the archive if there is no mbox file?
I have other lists that have been archiving for years and have no mbox
file. I guess I am a bit confused by the use of the mbox file for
archives.

On 6/5/07, Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> wrote:
> Christopher Adams wrote:
>
> >I have moved a list from another mailman installation. I moved the
> >list files and the archives and then ran fix_url. Everything looks
> >good except for the To: address in individual messages in the archive.
> >It still has the old URL/mail address. Also, the link labeled 'More
> >Info on this List...." still points to the old URL.
> >
> >So, what else do I need to do? Does the arch utility take care of
> >this? It was my understanding that the arch utility was for rebuilding
> >an archive after editing it or removing messages. Also, the
> >documentation says something like this:
> >
> >/bin/arch mylist archives/private/mylist.mbox/mylist.mbox
> >
> >My lists don't have a mylist.mbox file in the mylist.mbox directory.
> >Any advice would be helpful.
>

> You don't have the mylist.mbox file, because you didn't move it from
> the old installation. It was really the only archive file you needed
> to move. Without it, you can't rebuild the archives, and rebuilding is
> the way to fix the issues above.
>
> If you can get the .mbox file, then simply running
>
> bin/arch --wipe mylist
>
> will recreate the HTML archive and will fix the 'More Info on this
> List....' links. However, it is a good idea to first check the .mbox
> for unescaped From_ lines using bin/cleanarch.
>
> Where are you seeing the To: address in individual messages in the
> archive? Normally the HTML archive contains no message headers. If you
> are seeing this in quotes of prior posts, the only way to change that
> is to edit the .mbox prior to running bin/arch.
>
> --
> Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net>       The highway is for gamblers,

Christopher Adams
adamsca at gmail.com