[Mailman-Users] a question about unadvertised lists and spam

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Fri Jun 1 07:54:00 CEST 2007

On 5/29/07, Dennis Morgan wrote:

>  My question is - are spamers able to pick up lists from the default (but
>  not easily accessible) default mailman listinfo page and start
>  bombarding us with spam on all lists?

Yes.

>                                         Or should I set the "Advertise
>  this list" option to "no" for the lists on the default listinfo page?

That would be your choice.  But anything that is publicly accessible
is game for being snarfed by spammers.

There are tools that use this fact to their advantage against
spammers, by creating bogus e-mail addresses as part of a "honeypot"
campaign, where they know that each address they generate is unique
and they know all the details of which IP address was scanning their
system at what time when they generated that address, and if anyone
ever tries to send anything to that address not only are they
automatically blacklisted but so is the IP address that did the
original scan, and so on.

However, this doesn't help you if you're just trying to run some
mailing lists for your customers or your community.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0