[Mailman-Users] ImportError: No module named ldap

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Jul 26 03:04:00 CEST 2007

Mike Rosile wrote:

>Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> I'm guessing that the command line python invocation finds the ldap
>> module because its path is in the PYTHONPATH environment variable.
>> This doesn't work with the Mailman CGI wrapper because the wrapper
>> resets PYTHONPATH to contain only the path to the Mailman modules.
>>
>> If this is the issue, I suggest you install the ldap module in your
>> python library site-packages/ directory.
>>
>Unfortunately I tried that, both /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages and
>/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages, no luck.

Was there a site-packages/ directory in either of these places to begin
with?

Is there currently a PYTHONPATH environment variable set in your shell
pointing to the ldap module?

>> Another possibility is that mailman was configured with a different
>> python from the current command line python, in which the ldap module
>> is installed.
>>

>Both mailman and python2.4 were installed using binary packages that are
>apart of Ubuntu.  Mailman's error log shows the same version as when I
>execute python from the command line.  Do you think it would be
>beneficial to re-install mailman, perhaps from a tar ball?

No. I don't think this will help, but I do think that possibly
reinstalling python-ldap will help. How was this initially installed?
Was it from source or a Debian/Ubuntu package?