[Mailman-Users] senddigests cron error.

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Jul 25 01:54:30 CEST 2007

Daniel Ojo wrote:

>Has anyone seen this error before? I just started receiving this error
>message on my list server. This is only happening to one of my lists and
>keeping users from receiving mail. All mails sent to the list is queued
>in the list/digest.mbox file. I will appreciate any feedback on this issue.
>
>Daniel.
>

>> > Subject: Cron <mailman at list1> /usr/lib/mailman/cron/senddigests
>> > To: mailman at list1.domain.com
>> >

>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/cron/senddigests", line 94, in ?
>    main()
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/cron/senddigests", line 86, in main
>    mlist.send_digest_now()
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Digester.py", line 60, in send_digest_now
>    ToDigest.send_digests(self, mboxfp)
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/ToDigest.py", line 132, in send_digests
>    send_i18n_digests(mlist, mboxfp)
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/ToDigest.py", line 306, in send_i18n_digests
>    msg = scrubber(mlist, msg)
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/Scrubber.py", line 265, in process
>    url = save_attachment(mlist, part, dir)
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/Scrubber.py", line 359, in save_attachment
>    fnext = os.path.splitext(msg.get_filename(''))[1]
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/pythonlib/email/Message.py", line 731, in get_filename
>    return unicode(newvalue[2], newvalue[0] or 'us-ascii')
>LookupError: unknown encoding: -86400-[ERROR:_getenv_

There is probably also a similar errer for each post in Mailman's error
log.

The underlying problem may be a malformed message in the list's
digest.mbox file, but there is also a bug in some versions of the
email library having to do with decoding RFC 2231 encoded headers that
is more likely the issue.

Examine the list's digest.mbox file. I believe you will find a a
message with an attachment with a Content-Disposition: header with a
RFC 2231 encoded filename parameter and an apostrophe (') in the name.
Something like

  filename*0*=us-ascii'en'first part of name
  filename*1*=some more of name

with one or more apostrophes in the name text.

If you edit this name to remove the apostrophe(s) from the name, but
not the ones delimiting the character set and language parameters, the
not occur.

You can then run bin/unshunt to deliver the messages that were shunted
because of this error, but first examine the *.pck files in
qfiles/shunt to be sure there aren't any old, stale ones you don't
want, and remove any unwanted ones before runing unshunt. You can
examine the contents of these files with bin/show_qfiles or bin/dumpdb.