[Mailman-Users] Uncaught bounce notification - Out-of-Office

Christopher X. Candreva chris at westnet.com
Tue Jul 24 16:53:24 CEST 2007

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007, Barry Finkel wrote:

> Are there plans for Mailman to be able to intercept out-of-office
> replies and ignore them?  Or is the format of the text too variable
> to be able to parse the OOO message?

I've solved this problem locally using a procmail rule, and I think the
method could be implemented in mailman itself if others thought it
worthwhile. I only send on to mailman messages that match
procmail's FROM_MAILER check, anything else is sent directly to a human.
My theory is if the message isn't from a mailer-daemon, than it probably
isn't a bounce.

For those not familiar with procmail, FROM_MAILER expands to a faily
complicated regex designed to catch mail from any mailer-daemon.

     `(^(((Resent-)?(From|Sender)|X-Envelope-From):
     |>?From )([^>]*[^(.%@a-z0-9])?(Post(ma(st(er)?|n)|office)
     |(send)?Mail(er)?|daemon|mmdf|n?uucp|ops|r(esponse|oot)
     |(bbs\.)?smtp(error)?|s(erv(ices?|er)|ystem)
     |A(dmin(istrator)?|MMGR))(([^).!:a-z0-9][-_a-z0-9]*)?[%@>\t
     ][^<)]*(\(.*\).*)?)?$([^>]|$))'

The aliases entry looks like this:
listname-bounces:	\
	"|/usr/local/bin/procmail -m  /etc/mail/listname-bounces.rc"

listname-bounces.mc has:

# Only send stuff from the mailer to mailman
:0
* ^FROM_MAILER
| /home/mailman/mail/mailman bounces listname

#Everything else to a human
:0
!listname-owner at westnet.com