[Mailman-Users] Uncaught bounce notification - Out-of-Office

Barry Finkel b19141 at britaine.ctd.anl.gov
Tue Jul 24 15:12:38 CEST 2007

I, as co-owner of a Mailman 2.1.9 list, received this message:

     Subject: Uncaught bounce notification

     The attached message was received as a bounce, but either the bounce
     format was not recognized, or no member addresses could be extracted
     from it.  This mailing list has been configured to send all
     unrecognized bounce messages to the list administrator(s).

     From: user at example.com

     I will be out of my office from Monday July 23  till Wednesday
     July 25. I will get  back to you as soon as possible.

Are there plans for Mailman to be able to intercept out-of-office
replies and ignore them?  Or is the format of the text too variable
to be able to parse the OOO message?

The text says "or no member addresses could be extracted from it", but
the recipient's address is clearly in the "From:" line of the mail
sent back to LISTNAME-bounces.  These OOO messages should not increase
the recipient's bounce score.

Thanks.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov