[Mailman-Users] Can't connect to MTA Exim4

Daniel D Jones ddjones at riddlemaster.org
Sun Jul 22 17:17:56 CEST 2007

On Sunday 22 July 2007 10:44, Daniel D Jones wrote:
> Setting up a new server with Mailman and Exim4.  Exim is sending and
> receiving mail and the mailing list is created and accepts mail.  It's
> failing on trying to send it out.  In the smtp_failure log, I get this:
>
> Jul 22 10:23:26 2007 (2382) delivery to foo at bar.net failed with code -1:
> please run connect() first
> Jul 22 10:23:26 2007 (2382) delivery to john.doe at gmail.com failed with
> code -1: (111, 'Connection refused')
> Jul 22 10:23:26 2007 (2382) delivery to user at comcast.net failed with code
> -1: please run connect() first
>
> I set debugging in SMTPDirect.py to 1 and in the error log I get this for
> every attempted message:
> self.__conn.connect(mm_cfg.SMTPHOST, mm_cfg.SMTPPORT)
> Jul 22 10:25:20 2007 qrunner(649):      ^
> Jul 22 10:25:20 2007 qrunner(649): SyntaxError :  invalid syntax

OK, scratch that.  Right after sending the message, I realized this error was
at the statement immediately following where I'd inserted the line to set
debugging.  Evidently, Python's lovely significant whitespace "feature"
didn't appreciate the fact that vim inserted a tab rather than spaces.  It
seems that exim isn't accepting port 25 connections from localhost, although
I appear to have the 127.0.0.0 range specified for relaying.  In any event,
it seems like an exim problem rather than a mailman problem.