[Mailman-Users] searchable archive interface desired

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Wed Jul 18 20:54:06 CEST 2007

On 7/18/07, Datatude wrote:

>  One list I jsut started has already started accruing in the archives
>  incredibly valuable technical information posted by my colleagues.
>  However, it appears there is no Search feature for the archives.

Correct.  Mailman does not have any integrated search function.

It is possible to replace the built-in archive function with a
third-party option that may incorporate a search function (e.g.,
mhonarc).  It is also possible to apply patches to integrate a search
function into Mailman (e.g., ht:dig or Namazu), but these are only
semi-official patches at best.

The general subject of making your archives searchable is covered at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.011.htp>.

For Namazu, see
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.008.htp>.

>  Is there an easy way to replace the UI for the archives so that they are
>  searchable and return a hit-list of posts (preferable) or threads
>  (second best)?

If your archives are publicly accessible, you can search them with
Google (or other web search engines), just like you can do with the
archives of the mailman-users mailing list (see
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.018.htp>).

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0