[Mailman-Users] Passing the list name to the cgi scripts, called with backticks in Perl

BobLaJolla at aol.com BobLaJolla at aol.com
Tue Jul 17 19:49:06 CEST 2007

Hello,

In order to utilize my site's dynamic header, footer, banner ad  programs,
etc., I am generating the mailman HTML enveloping content with a Perl  script,
and calling mailman's cgi scripts, as appropriate, using a shell  command.
Example below:

$listinfo_output =  `/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/listinfo`;

Note backticks to invoke this script from the shell in my  Perl script.

This successfully loads the variable "$listinfo_output" with the  output from
the mailman/cgi-bin/listinfo command, from there I can print or  extract
content from the HTML as useful.

My problem is, to get any list-specific output from the  mailman/cgi-bin/*
scripts, I need to be able to pass the listname to the script  - and I can't
figure out how to do this with the shell command.  If  I follow the standard
syntax from the web (e.g.  `/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/listinfo/somelist`) the
shell looks for a  non-existent program in the non-existent listinfo directory
(listinfo is,  of course, a script).

Using the scheme outlined above, how can I pass the listname to the  various
cgi-bin scripts from mailman to capture their list-specific output for
customized pages?

I do realize there are templates for customizing the HTML, but  these are not
useful for server side include files and scripts, on which my site  depends
heavily.

Thanks in advance...  :o)

Bob R