[Mailman-Users] Failures showing in the log file?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Jul 16 17:06:59 CEST 2007

Dennis Carr wrote:

>Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>> It may or may not help to set SMTP_MAX_RCPTS to a number smaller that
>> the number that gets accepted each time (in mm_cfg.py), but first get
>> the reason from the smtp-failure log. The best solution depends on the
>> reason. It may be that something in the outgoing MTA needs to be
>> changed.
>
>That would probably mean smtpd_recipient_limit (running Postfix),
>which I have to set 500.  Currently, SMTP_MAX_RCPTS is set to the
>default of 1000 in Defaults.py.

What Mailman version is this? The default in the distribution is 500
and should only be changed in mm_cfg.py.

>I'm wondering, then: given this, would
>setting this to, say, 1 cause mailman to deliver one file per email?
>(This would be an example, of course; doing something like this would
>most likely bring my server down to its knees.)

One recipient per email (smtp) transaction with the MTA (in other
words, one file per recipient), but instead of setting SMTP_MAX_RCPTS
= 1, set VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = 1 which will cause every post to be
sent individually with a VERP like envelope sender for improved bounce
processing and message tracking.