[Mailman-Users] Spam Via List -Request Address

Bob Brown bbrown at spsu.edu
Thu Jul 5 12:12:05 CEST 2007

A spammer is abusing my lists by sending spam with a forged From: address
to the -Request addresses of my lists.  The owner of the From: address
gets a polite message that no commands were found and a copy of the
original message, i.e. the spam.  So far, I haven't been blacklisted, but
it's only a matter of time.  I can /dev/null mail to the request
addresses, and I've been doing that as I engage in hand-to-hand combat
with this spammer, but that keeps legit subscribers from using Mailman as
designed and documented.

Is there a setting (or a hack) that will allow Mailman to respond to
administrative requests via mail *without* including the original message?
 That will make it slightly less friendly for legitimate users who make
mistakes, but it also makes abuse of the type described a complete waste
of electrons.  I know spammers don't care how much mail they send, but if
there's *no* chance of a return because the message isn't relayed, perhaps
they'll give up on this one.

Thanks!  --Bob

(I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I've looked pretty
carefully before writing.  I can find general discussions of backscatter,
but nothing on this specific subject.  If it has been discussed, a pointer
would be helpful.)