[Mailman-Users] virtual domain setup with postfix

Paul Fox pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us
Tue Jan 30 18:33:07 CET 2007

david wrote:
 > I've read and reread and reread the mailman docs, and I don't see where and how
 > virtual addresses get piped to the command above. The file
 > /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases has commands like the above; the file
 > /usr/local/mailman/data/virtual-mailman does not.
 >
 > For example, aliases has:
 >
 > pctest:             "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post pctest"
 >
 > but virtual-mailman has:
 >
 > pctest at virt1.tld              pctest
 >
 > I'm missing how to glue the two together, and this is NOT covered in the
 > existing mailman docs.

 > >i don't use mysql, but my epiphany was when i realized i needed
 > >two separate mappings to be in place to get postfix and mailman
 > >working together.  you need the virtual domain map (which i believe
 > >you have) and you need the map that takes the result of the virtual
 > >domain map, and turns it into a "real" destination.
 >
 > Right. That's really my question -- how is that done?

as i understand it, it's done automatically by postfix, if you
tell it about all the maps.  if you weren't using mysql, the
definition of virtual_alias_maps should include the alias maps
for any virtual domains:

virtual_alias_maps =
	hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/virtual-mailman

and the postfix definition of "alias_maps" should refer to both
/etc/aliases and /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases:

alias_maps =
        hash:/etc/aliases
	hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases

postfix will resolve using first the virtual_alias_maps, and then
the alias_maps.

but i don't know how mysql affects any of that.

paul