[Mailman-Users] Duplicate Subscribe/Unsubscribe Notifications

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Jan 26 22:36:35 CET 2007

Ki Song quoted Mark Sapiro and wrote:

>> Also, What is the contents of the list's owner and moderator
>> attributes. Are you or something that forwards to you listed twice?
>>
>Where could I find these attributes? Is it on the web admin interface, or is
>it somewhere else?

Web admin, General options.

>> Also, check for that Message-ID in Mailman's 'smtp' log and see how
>> many recipients it was sent to.
>
>The message-ID from mailman's smtp log shows something interesting. Every
>message that is duplicated, shows the same message-ID, but it says that it
>is being sent to 2 recipients. Is that normal?

It is normal if the total number of addresses in the 'owner' and
'moderator' lists is two.

>I ask because as far as I
>know, these subscribe messages are being sent to me, the administrator, and
>the actual email that is being subscribed/unsubscribed. Is that normal, or
>would it be two different message-ID's, if only 1 message was being sent to
>me and 1 message was being sent to the email address that is being
>subscribed/unsubscribed?

The owner notice and the user notice are different messages with
different Message-IDs.

Note that some notifications such as held message notifications are
sent twice and have two smtp log entries. The first send has one
recipient which is the list's -owner address, and this is followed by
the resend to the owners and moderators. This is not the case for
(un)subscribe notices however. Subscribe and unsubscribe owner notices
are sent directly to the owners and moderators without going through
the -owner address.