[Mailman-Users] /bin/sh: mailman: command not found

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Jan 22 17:34:43 CET 2007

Ken Cheney wrote:

>  I get a million of these messages from Cron.  Subject: [Mailman] Cron <mailman at listserv> mailman/usr/lib/mailman/cron/gate_news
>
>  I have read that it is because of something messed up with the crontab.in or soemthing.  Something to do with the place #6 or something like that.

There are two ways to install a crontab. The crontab can be a user's
crontab and for the mailman user is usually in the file
/var/spool/cron/mailman, but is usually manipulated with the crontab
command (man 1 crontab).

There are also system (package) crontabs which are usually found in the
/etc/cron.d/ directory. These crontabs have a different format. Since
they are not associated with a particular user, they have an
additional entry for the username between the times and the command.

Your problem is you have a file that was intended for
/etc/cron.d/mailman, and it is installed in /var/spool/cron/mailman.
You can fix this by moving /var/spool/cron/mailman to /etc/cron.d/, or
by editing /var/spool/cron/mailman (as the mailman user give command
'crontab -e') and removing the word 'mailman' that precedes the
command on each line of the file.