[Mailman-Users] Bypass List Moderation

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Jan 21 22:37:26 CET 2007

Karl Zander wrote:

>We have a mischievous person forging From: headers and
>posting to the list as if they were that subscriber.  Any
>way to fight this besides moderating everything?  I have
>noted FAQ 3.46 so I am guessing that full moderation is
>our best way for now. mmreencrypt does not look too
>current.

mmreencrypt is, as you notice, very out of date. At this point, it is
probably only useful as a concept, not as a working product. This and
other ideas mentioned in FAQ 3.46 all suffer from the drawback that
they require posts to be at least cryptographically signed. This may
be an insurmountable hurdle for some list members.

Thus, you're pretty much stuck with full moderation unless perhaps you
can identify something unique (an ip address maybe) in the headers of
the mischievously forged posts, and set header_filter_rules to discard
them.