[Mailman-Users] Adding disclaimer to message footer via command line

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Jan 21 17:34:46 CET 2007

Leon Kolchinsky wrote:

>Our management decided to add disclaimer to every footer in Digest and
>Non-digest options.
>I know that this is a bad netiquette but I have no choice.
>
>I have a lot of mailinglists running on my server and I though that may be
>there is a way to do this addition with some script via command line and add
>this to all lists, and save from myself doing it via web-interface enormous
>times.

You can do this fairly easily in two ways. One is with a bin/withlist
script and the other is by running bin/config_list via a shell script.

Several examples of withlist scripts (not this exact one) can be found
at <http://veenet.value.net/~msapiro/scripts/> or
<http://fog.ccsf.edu/~msapiro/scripts/>.

The shell script method is described at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.038.htp>.

With the shell method, the input to config_list (configfile in the FAQ)
would contain

msg_footer="""First line of footer
Second line
Last line
"""
digest_footer="""First line of footer
Second line
Last line
"""

You also want the set DEFAULT_MSG_FOOTER in mm_cfg.py (if you haven't
changed DEFAULT_DIGEST_FOOTER, you don't need to now as it defaults to
DEFAULT_MSG_FOOTER) so the footer is set for new lists.