[Mailman-Users] problems with gid when installing

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Jan 21 02:32:07 CET 2007

Mark Sapiro wrote:

>Peter Coolen wrote:
>>
>>Do you have any idea how to fix this problem with my web server
>>configuration? It is Apache 1.3.36
>
>>    Alias /mailman/ "/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/"
>

>The above line overrides the ScriptAlias below. Remove it.
>

>> <Directory "/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/">
>>        Options Indexes FollowSymlinks MultiViews ExecCGI
>>        AllowOverride None
>>        Order allow,deny
>>        Allow from all
>>    </Directory>
>>
>>ScriptAlias /mailman/ "usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/"
>>
>>    AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .py

Other issues in your apache config.

The Directory section should be "/usr/local/mailman/", not
"/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/". This is primarily for public archives.
Also, if you are going to have public archives, you want

 Alias /pipermail/ /usr/local/mailman/archives/public/

Finally, the AddHandler is superfluous for Mailman. The only GGIs
executed by Apache for Mailman are the compiled wrappers in
usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/ which normally have no extension (unless
you specified --with-cgi-ext to configure). Python scripts are
executed indirectly by the wrapper, not directly by Apache.