[Mailman-Users] Low level smtp error

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Jan 16 18:29:02 CET 2007

Patrick Franz wrote:

>I can create lists now, I can manage them and I can send mails to those
>lists. Those mails land in the archive as they should, but they don't
>get delivered to the subscribers. A look at
>/var/log/mailman/smtp-failure gives the following:
>

>Jan 16 17:12:32 2007 (9353) Low level smtp error: (111, 'Connection
>refused'), msgid: <Pine.LNX.4.62.0701161320080.17052 at xxxxxxxxx.de>
>Jan 16 17:12:32 2007 (9353) Low level smtp error: please run connect()
>first, msgid: <Pine.LNX.4.62.0701161320080.17052 at xxxxxxxxx.de>
>Jan 16 17:12:32 2007 (9353) delivery to footest at myotherdomain.de failed
>with code -1: please run connect() first
>Jan 16 17:12:32 2007 (9353) delivery to p200 at mydomain2.de failed with
>code -1: (111, 'Connection refused')

Your Mailman is unable to connect to your outgoing MTA (Exim). Exim is
refusing connection or is not listening on 'localhost' port 25.

Can you

  telnet localhost 25

on the Mailman/Exim box? Presumably Exim is running if you can send
mail to Mailman, but there is probably some Exim configuration issue
causing it to not accept connects from localhost.