[Mailman-Users] us-ascii problem with new install in Ubuntu(SOLVED)

Barry Finkel b19141 at britaine.ctd.anl.gov
Mon Jan 15 18:27:20 CET 2007

and Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> replied:

>The only reason I can think for U/D to not include that directory is
>that they are sure that the Python they depend Mailman on already has
>the email package and codecs that live in pythonlib.  The purpose of
>pythonlib is to provide compatibility between Python versions which
>might have older versions of the email lib or might be missing the
>codecs.
>
>It's not strictly required to have pythonlib, and should be possible
>to run without it, but I'm not sure why you would, unless you feel
>that you're tracking patches in the dependent packages better than
>the Mailman project is.  I don't see how it can hurt to have the
>pythonlib that Mailman normally installs.
>
>- -Barry

The original Debian bug report had

     The short summary for the bug is "bad installation when
     /var/lib/mailman/pythonlib is a symlink."

so, it appears to me that the U/D fix should have been to check for a
symlink and not remove pythonlib entirely.  I have to assume that
the person who originated this thread, Kyle Sexton, installed Mailman
via an Ubuntu package install

     Kyle Sexton wrote:

     >Thanks for your reply.  I realized after I sent the message that
     >I left of the version numbers:
     >
     >mailman 2.1.8-2ubuntu2

So, there is a packaging problem with Ubuntu and Mailman.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov