[Mailman-Users] Problems with Subject Generated via Invites

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Jan 14 18:57:14 CET 2007

Geoff Deering wrote:

>Paul Tomblin said the following on 14/01/2007 3:12 PM:
>> The problem as I see it is that people who only configure lists through a
>> web interface are unlikely to have the knowledge of the mail transport
>> agent (MTA) to know if setting VERP_CONFIRMATIONS will work or not.  It's
>> only if you're an all-round system administrator who configured the MTA or
>> who has access to the configuration of the MTA that you can safely say
>> for sure whether VERP_CONFIRMATIONS will work or not.
>>

>The other problem is that a lot of people don't have this access, like
>those who have accounts with only CPanel access or DreamHost without
>shell access, etc.  These people rely purely on a web interface for all
>their sysconfig.

That is correct, but if you are suggesting that VERP_CONFIRMATIONS be
made an option available to list owners via the web interface, it
isn't going to happen because it isn't safe to do so. The typical
cPanel or Dreamhost list owner doesn't know if the VERP like
confirmations are going to work or not, and if they don't, the list
owner only finds out after breaking the list. If we could guarantee
that VERP_CONFIRMATIONS would always work, it wouldn't be an option;
it would just be the way it worked.

Thus, we give the site administration the ability to select this option
if it will work in their environment, and we don't make it the default
because if we did it would be a limitation on Mailman's ability to run
successfully out of the box.