[Mailman-Users] Problems with Subject Generated via Invites

Paul Tomblin ptomblin at xcski.com
Sun Jan 14 05:12:08 CET 2007

Quoting Geoff Deering (geoff at deering.id.au):
> Mark Sapiro said the following on 14/01/2007 11:55 AM:
> > I agree, but in the case of VERP_CONFIRMATIONS, this is a site setting.
> > It defaults to No rather than Yes, because that is the 'safer' setting
> > because some MTA's will not be configured to handle the reply address
> > with confirmation token appended.
>
> I can see what you are saying, and the software designers have at least
> provided such options, but so many people are seeing a web interface and
> expecting that they should be able to manage all the configuration that
> regard interfacing with their users from there.  I think as much as
> possible user configuration options should be available in the admin web
> interface.  I hope if is considered for future versions.

The problem as I see it is that people who only configure lists through a
web interface are unlikely to have the knowledge of the mail transport
agent (MTA) to know if setting VERP_CONFIRMATIONS will work or not.  It's
only if you're an all-round system administrator who configured the MTA or
who has access to the configuration of the MTA that you can safely say
for sure whether VERP_CONFIRMATIONS will work or not.

--
Paul Tomblin <ptomblin at xcski.com> http://blog.xcski.com/
I tried staying in during a fire alarm some years ago.  Unfortunately the