[Mailman-Users] us-ascii problem with new install in Ubuntu(SOLVED)

Barry Finkel b19141 at britaine.ctd.anl.gov
Wed Jan 10 20:26:41 CET 2007

Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> Some additional information:
>>
>> This is mailman 2.1.8-2ubuntu2.
>>
>> The reference to the 'bug fix' is at
>> <http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/m/mailman/mailman_2.1.8-2ubuntu2/changelog>
>> in which is found
>>
>>   * Make sure we don't ship /var/lib/mailman/pythonlib, should make that
>>     go away on installations which already have it (closes: #242740).
>>
>> (I couldn't find a description of #242740).

and Todd Zullinger replied:
>That looks to be from the Debian Mailman package, which Ubuntu uses as
>it's base.  See the long trail here:
>
>    http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=242740

The short summary for the bug is "bad installation when
>/var/lib/mailman/pythonlib is a symlink."
>
>(I've never found the Debian bugs page very easy to follow. :)

I read the entire bug page trail, and I am trying to understand it.
I looked at my 2.1.9 source test installation (on Solaris 10, where I
installed into /opt/mailman), and I see things in the

     /opt/mailman/pythonlib

directory.  What is the purpose of the files found therein?  If these
are needed by Mailman, how can Ubuntu/Debian not supply them?  I am
trying to understand what is happening (so that I can convince
others here that I need to install from the source and not from the
Ubuntu package).
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov