[Mailman-Users] us-ascii problem with new install in Ubuntu(SOLVED)

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Wed Jan 10 19:08:51 CET 2007

Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Some additional information:
>
> This is mailman 2.1.8-2ubuntu2.
>
> The reference to the 'bug fix' is at
> <http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/m/mailman/mailman_2.1.8-2ubuntu2/changelog>
> in which is found
>
>   * Make sure we don't ship /var/lib/mailman/pythonlib, should make that
>     go away on installations which already have it (closes: #242740).
>
> (I couldn't find a description of #242740).

That looks to be from the Debian Mailman package, which Ubuntu uses as
it's base.  See the long trail here:

The short summary for the bug is "bad installation when
/var/lib/mailman/pythonlib is a symlink."

(I've never found the Debian bugs page very easy to follow. :)

Religion. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the
nature of the Unknowable.
    -- Ambrose Bierce, The Enlarged Devil's Dictionary, 1906