[Mailman-Users] mailman 2.1.5 and Debian upgrades

Dan MacNeil dan at thecsl.org
Tue Jan 9 21:42:39 CET 2007

Alan McConnell wrote:
> Dear Helpful Experts,

I am hardly an expert, though I do aspire to be helpful.

 > Can I, again, have the Assembled Wisdom(TM) tell me, and
 > the PatriotNet staff, how to proceed to upgrade the MM
 > install from 2.1.5 to 2.1.9?

By coincidence, we are a tiny ISP for non-profits. Last night we
upgraded our mailman/amavis/postfix server to move from mailman 2.1.5 to
2.1.9 (we also moved from Sarge to Etch)

	# to replace "sarge" with "etch",
	$EDITOR /etc/apt/sources.list

	sudo apt-get update;
	sudo apt-get dist-upgrade --download-only
	sudo apt-get dist-upgrade;
	# remove shunt files from mailman

As usual, mailman didn't upgrade until I emptied the shunt directory,
but the upgrade scripts made it very clear what the issue was.

There were no other problems upgrading mailman. The configuration file
setup for amavis change so I spent a bit of time moving things around.
--I was surprised at how stock our setup was.

The big unresolved problem is that rdiff-backup on the Etch machine now
can't talk to the backup repository  running sarge rdiff-backup

 > And a few words of wisdom about why this is advisable would also be
 > appreciated.

In our case, an important customer wanted friendly VERP subject lines in
confirmation email messages generated in reply to
listname-join at lists.orgainzation.org

We know we will have to move to Etch some day soon in any event and this
was a relatively low risk start.